Wednesday, July 23, 2014

FRONTIER AIRLINES...just say NO!

A little over a month ago, I got online to purchase plane tickets for myself and my three children, ages 4, 3, and 1, to fly back to MI to visit my family.  After looking at several sites and comparing prices, I settled on Frontier tickets that would fly from our hometown of Idaho Falls to Chicago.  Once in Chicago, my parents would pick us up and drive us the remaining 3 hours to their home.  I was so excited.  I was able to find a great deal on the tickets, and I wasn't even going to have to fly out of Salt Lake, which would add another 4 hours to our trip.  Since booking my tickets, my enthusiasm for Frontier has steadily declined until this morning when I was supposed to fly out and things hit rock bottom.

Leading up to today, I had trouble finding the information I needed about traveling with children, which items I could bring on the plane with me and what needed to be checked, baggage fees, etc.  I finally found the information I needed about baggage fees only to find out that I would be charged for carry-ons, checked bags, and bags checked at the gate.  I still had no idea what they would do with my double stroller I would need to get around in the airport and if I was going to need any special documentation for my children to get through TSA.  I resigned to the fact that there would just be some unknowns and I would have to pray for good agents who would be willing to help me the day of.

Last night, I got online to check-in and check my one bag.  I logged in and tried to check-in, but it would not let me, stating I needed special assistance from an agent.  I looked online for the check-in times and found that I would need to be there anywhere from 2 hours-45 minutes before the flight departed.  I was all packed, the kids were put to bed in their clothes for the next day so we could just get up and go.

This morning, my mother-in-law showed up at 5:20am to take us to the airport.  We arrived at 5:50 for the flight that was scheduled to leave at 6:35...45 minutes early.  As I was getting in line, I was warned that the agents at the counter were not the friendliest and that hopefully I would make it on the flight.  I didn't worry too much as it is a small town airport and I have always had a good experience there.  I stood in line and watched the agents help 10 more customers, before shutting down their computers and telling the rest of us that we would not be getting on the flight because we did not arrive early enough.  They then walked away and did not help the remaining 4 of us with our questions.  I later found out this is because Frontier Airlines makes their staff do double duty at the airport-they must handle the check-ins and then go board the plane. 
I immediately hopped on my phone to see what the company could do to help me out.  I spoke to three different agents, 2 of which were in management positions.  They were able to get me on a flight out of Jackson (about 2 hours away), but insisted on charging me $75 change fees for each of my tickets.  During this whole process, I was ignored by the agents in the airport, yelled at by an agent on the phone, and not one person offered to help me out as the customer.

After doing some research and reading other people's stories that are similar to mine, I have found that Frontier Airlines' "strict policy" that the agents kept referring to must be to screw over as many customers as possible, whenever possible.  It was a joke trying to get help.

I am writing this so others can be aware of the type of company they are and make a more educated decision before choosing to fly with them.  To me it is worth paying a little more to not have to deal with this crap. 
Be aware: Frontier Airlines is not in the business of serving their customers.  Avoid using them at all cost.  Spread the word.  Let's boycott this company and see how well they do without any of the customers that they refuse to help. 

No comments: